BERKELEY MISSION TRIP – SUMMER 2018
Student Ministries is partnering with MAVEN (maventruth.com) for a mission trip this summer that will stretch you and help you grow. We are heading to Berkeley, California in June. The Berkeley Mission will train you to defend your Christianity and give you an opportunity to do so in real-life discussions with atheists and other non-Christians. This hands-on experience will challenge you like never before. By the time you come home you will gain a new confidence that not only what Christians believe is true, but that it can be defended against all objections. This trip will be similar to the Utah Mission that some FBC students and adults attended in the summer of 2016.
The primary training times for this trip will occur during Ambassador Training on Wednesday nights. This will be mandatory for all Berkeley Mission team members.
In Matthew 22, Jesus said:
“’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
Berkeley is an opportunity to love God with all that you are, including your mind. And Berkeley is an opportunity to love the world around us.
BERKELEY TRIP DATES | SATURDAY, JUNE 23rd – SATURDAY, JUNE 30th
COST OF TRIP | $800 TOTAL, $400 PERSONAL INVESTMENT & $400 RAISED FROM SUPPORT LETTERS
WHO CAN ATTEND | HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS & ADULTS
APPLICATION DUE | WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 21st w/$100 DEPOSIT (application linked to below)
“WHAT TO BRING” LIST
Read this “what-to-bring” list with the mission trip purpose at the forefront of your minds. And be prepared to sacrifice your “personal rights” or desires for the good of the group.
- Casual, yet modest clothes
- Bring things like t-shirts, polos, jeans – for the most part Berkeley will be cool and rainy!
- Note to Girls:
- absolutely no low-cut shirts, spaghetti straps, or tight shirts – nothing that shows cleavage or midriffs
- you will have to “cover up” if your shirt is considered too tight, low cut, etc.
- Note to Guys:
- do not dress sloppily (i.e. showing your boxers, ripped clothing)
- Sweatshirts, jacket, and/or raincoat
- Small umbrella
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Toiletries (i.e. soap, shampoo, deodorant)
- Towel (for the showers)
- Sleeping bag & pillow
- Small air mattress or camping pad – we will be sleeping on the ground
- Bible, notebook & a pen
- 10 copies each of the “Conversational Survey #1” and “Conversational Survey #2”
- 1 copy of the “Why Atheism?” document by Mark Thomas (http://godlessgeeks.com/WhyAtheism.htm)
- Training notes & books on apologetics – so you can continue to study!
- Backpack to carry stuff around each day
- Money for fast-food meals
- Snacks for the drive
- Water bottle
- Sandals (for wearing or using in the shower)
- Sun protection: sun block, hat, sunglasses, lip balm
- Athletic shoes (for play in the church’s gym)
- Spending money (for snacks, souvenirs, books, etc.)
WHAT NOT TO BRING
- Any electronics at all (No DVD players, No iPods, No Video Games). They will only be a distraction to our mission and therefore, will be confiscated (see note below about cell phones).
- A ton of beauty products. There will not be a great need to focus on our appearance and the time spent using them can be a distraction to our mission. In fact, be prepared NOT to shower everyday.
NOTES ON PACKING!
- Everything but the sleeping bag & air mattress/camping pad must fit into ONE duffel bag or suitcase. This suitcase CANNOT be HUGE. Think SMALL, think reusable clothing, think about putting up with less than your dream wardrobe. You may also use a backpack to carry non-clothes items like your Bible, apologetics books or camera with you. Remember, people almost never pack too little; they almost always pack too much!
- Notes on Cell Phones: They will have to stay turned OFF during the trip. There will be designated times you can call your parents. We know from years past that these phones can be a distraction and we want you to get the most you can from this trip.